LIBERTARIAN ENDORSEMENT OF MINNESOTA COALTION AND ITS DEMANDS
Minneapolis, Minnesota (March 18, 2021) – The Libertarian Party of Minnesota gives an unsolicited yet official endorsement of the Minnesota Coalition for its nine proposed 2021 Legislative Demands announced last month.
The MN Coalition identifies as “a group of community organizers that have come together to work towards transforming police accountability, supporting the families of stolen lives. This coalition is part of a growing movement across this country to address the pandemic of injustice.” (see mncoalition.org for more)
The specific demands are as follows:
- End Qualified Immunity
- Require Police Professional Liability Insurance
- Repeal a Limit on Civilian Oversight
- End Police Only Responses to Mental Health Crisis Calls
- Eliminate the Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Deaths.
- Create an Independent Investigatory and Prosecutory Body
- End Prosecution for Reporting Police Misconduct
- Give Families Unredacted Access to BWC Footage Within 48 Hrs.
- Prohibit No Knock Warrants
This list aligns with and expands on some long-stated goals of many Libertarians (in addition to ending the 1033 program). LPMN state party endorsement, for wording as it appears, passed by a 7 to 2 vote in the LPMN Executive Committee on March 15.
Michelle Gross, leader of local coalition partner CUAPB (Communities United Against Police Brutality) thanked the LPMN for its support and says “These bills provide sensible solutions to address police violence and increase racial justice. Please urge your legislators to vote for them.”
The Libertarian Party is America’s third largest political party; working to defend individual rights and self-sovereignty, by supporting justice everywhere and opposing the initiation of force anywhere to achieve goals, consistently. (see lpmn.org for more) Their state convention in Minnesota is May 8.